PODCAST EP.13 & 14 – BOWIEWALLOW PT.1 & 2

I WUZZ FEELING VERY BLUE…

Podcasts 13 & 14 feature responses from myself and others to Bowie’s death on January 10th 2016. I thought seeing as absolutely no one seems to have paid tribute to Bowie or talked about how much he affected their lives, I should give it a go as I’m such a trailblazer. A warning: it gets emotional in there so if a middle aged man getting teary about a pop star is going to ruin your day, maybe try The Moral Maze instead.

The two podcasts feature contributions from BaaadDad (talking in 1997 about the media response to the death of Princess Diana), Dara O’Kearney who wrote a wonderful blog post about his unusual relationship with Bowie, Kathy Burke who describes the bizarre Bowie based misunderstanding that unfolded on Celebrity Big Brother the week of his death, Johan Renck, who directed the videos for Blackstar and Lazarus, Jonathan Ross who talked to me about his own relationship with Bowie and his music and Gaz Coombes who recorded a cover of a classic Bowie track in his home studio, especially for this podcast.

There’s also a recording of my friend Dan Richards playing 8 Line Poem at the end of the first podcast. Thanks for letting me use it Dan. Perhaps I should have re-recorded it properly, but it was such a nice moment, it felt wrong to restage it.

MUSIC CLIPS USED IN THE PODCAST

Extracts of Bowie’s music featured in the podcasts: Quicksand, Moss Garden, Remembering Marie A, I Can’t Read, Blackstar, Lazarus, Glass Spider, Space Oddity (Buckles remix), I Can’t Give Everything Away…

‘GRIEF POLICE’ VS ‘BOWIE BLUBBERERS’

I thought this was a nice response from Sali Hughes to Camilla Long et al who got so irritated by the outpouring of sentiment from ‘Bowie Blubberers’. Sali’s piece made me feel better on the day. Speaking of Camilla Long, you can see her tweets about Bowie HERE although it should be noted that this Express piece wilfully ignores the tone of a tweet Camilla wrote after Michael Jackson’s death in order to make her appear more of a hypocrite. Hey, come on team, no need for that. Let’s hug it out.

BUG BOWIE SPECIAL

For info about forthcoming BUG Bowie Special shows around the country you can visit the BUG website HERE.

MY 2013 6 MUSIC DOC ABOUT BOWIE

HERE

RANDOM BOWIE BITS THAT CHEERED ME UP THAT WEEK IN JANUARY

ZIGGYOLOGY‘ a book by Simon Goddard that sometimes reads like a kind of sci-fi novel with the forces of time, space and cultural history conspiring to create the perfect conditions required to create a ‘Ziggy’. At first I thought it would be rather an irritating read, but it’s totally absorbing, well researched and clearly a labour of considerable love.

PUSHING AHEAD OF THE DAME, a very well written and exhaustively thorough analysis of every single Bowie song! And there’s a book, REBEL REBEL, that’s come out of the website too. It’s not dissimilar to Ian MacDonald’s Revolution InThe Head about the Beatles. I would think every Bowie fan would be grateful for a copy.

Filed under ADAM BUXTON PODCAST and BUG

• So glad the podcast is back. It’s so creative and fun. I’ve never been a huge Bowie fan beyond the A side of “Low” but I knew I’d still enjoy a full Adam Buxton podcast about him, and I did! Thanks and I look forward to the next!

Comment by Eric — March 25, 2016 @ 4:10 pm

• Fantastic and very moving. Thank you.

Comment by John B — March 25, 2016 @ 7:42 pm

• Adam Buxton – I loved your podcasts what a wonderful genuine tribute.

Comment by iseult — March 26, 2016 @ 7:02 pm

• Hello Mr Buxton.

I just felt it necessary to both thank you and congratulate you on your two most recent podcasts. I listen to and love all your podcasts and often find myself laughing out loud while out walking the dog, the two part bowie wallow was especially good.

I just wanted to let you know that i think you did a very good job and you should feel proud.

Thanks

Comment by Edward hands — March 26, 2016 @ 8:14 pm

• Thanks, it was fantastic. Funny, how you were talking about finding things through Bowie. Well I’ve found your stuff through your love of David, through the 2013 BBC6 show.

Comment by Gabor — March 26, 2016 @ 8:28 pm

• Really enjoyed listening even though I’ve never really been ‘touched’ by Bowie (good job with operation yew tree sniffing around). Listening to you get emotional and explain what he meant to you got me a bit emosh as well as my dog just died and some of what you said about Bowie seemed to apply to my dog too (although my dog never redefined pop music whilst pushing back cultural boundaries, but he could lick his own testicles so it’s all relative really) love your work buckles look forward to the upcoming pods x

Comment by Si — March 26, 2016 @ 8:43 pm

• Hi Adam (et al), Related a lot to this and still a bit surprised at how real this loss feels to me. Anyway, thanks for these, very much appreciated. You all may have come across these Bowie impersonations but hope you don’t mind me pasting in case you haven’t …one of the only things that cheered me up in January 2016…..

cheers, Jim

Comment by jim — March 26, 2016 @ 10:58 pm

• Thanks for all the incredibly lovely Bowie content Buckles. The Bowie grief has been tough but the public out pouring of love for the man and his music has been hugely heart warming. When feeling down I have found that the best way to deal with grief has been to whack on Let’s Dance and groove around the house in my pants. Pants dancing is the healer.

Comment by Happyboypricey — March 27, 2016 @ 9:32 pm

• Adam, I was surprised at my grief at Bowie’s death too. I never usually go in for the celebrity death cult of mourning, but Bowie was different for me. Perhaps it’s mixed nostalgia and the fear of my own mortality, now both of my parents have passed away as well. Anyway, loved the Bowie shows and more generally could not be more pleased that you’re doing the podcast. Keep up all the good work of people-pleasing and otherwise making me giggle. Thank you, love you, bye!

Comment by Noya — March 27, 2016 @ 10:51 pm

• Thank you for being so honest and vulnerable in the last two episodes. You put a word on my feelings. Regards.

Comment by Lana — March 28, 2016 @ 1:00 pm

• This podcast has had a massive effect on my life. Ive got every noise its ever made and when younger I would sometimes dress up just to look like this podcast. Im even a fan of the weird noises towards the end of it and have often argued with people about how it was still relevant and creative. I was lucky enough to meet this podcast back in 2005 (or 8:15 in the 12 hour clock) and I can confirm it was really nice.

love you podcast bye.

Comment by Robert Sir lady Fluffington - Destroyer of worlds — April 1, 2016 @ 2:26 pm

• Hello Dr Buckles, I just wanted to say thank you so much for putting together these Bowiewallows and sharing them with us. I have tried to write more here about why I think these two podcasts are important and why I want to say thank you for being willing to discuss grief, both public and personal, like this – but I can’t seem to express it in a way that doesn’t sound weirdly formal. But listening to this meant a lot to me, so, thanks. On top of all that the Squarespace song is also a new classic. Okay, love you, bye! Maddie x

Comment by Maddie — April 5, 2016 @ 11:16 pm

• Hello Adam – thanks for the invitation to wallow in your bowiewallow, both interesting and moving and a little bit funny too, which is always nice. Always love the pod anyway but these two felt a little bit special, and the “my two dads” bits made me laugh and shed a little tear at the same time. Keep up the good work. Oh – in terms of bowie-linked items …have you ever encountered the comic “Red Rocket 7” by Michael Allred? Sure you probably have, but if not it might be quite up your alley. Toodle pip.

Comment by Simon — April 6, 2016 @ 8:31 pm

• I’ve just re-read my comment and saying “a little bit funny” was not meant to sound as bad as it now reads. If this podcast was just a little bit funny I wouldn’t be here! It’s super-funny – even when it makes me sad. Bye!

Comment by Simon — April 7, 2016 @ 1:39 am

• I’ve been thoroughly enjoying all your podcasts, I’ve listened to them all over the last couple of weeks!

It’s great to have a constant stream of Buxton once again, you’ve certainly made me laugh a lot, you always have excellent guests and I love your slightly rant like views on the world.

You’ve done a particularly amazing job here, I got a little welled up at points, especially at the end – it makes me sad to think that the great Dr Buckles is sad.

Think I’ll go listen to Blackstar now.

Comment by Pete — April 8, 2016 @ 9:57 am

• Thank you so much for these Bowiewallows: poignant, funny and genuine. It’s really helped me to know that other (fairly) sane people feel the same way about Bowie – I really am wrestling with this loss, whilst simultaneously being astonished/ashamed by the intensity of my feelings. At least it’s pushed me to discover the excellent, challenging music David continued to make after his ‘classic’ period, through the 90s and right up to his death. Please continue to express the Bowie Love in your charming and inimitable way!

Comment by Charlie — April 12, 2016 @ 3:08 pm

• Greetings from faraway Borneo. I have recently stumbled upon your podcast via that of Herring (Dickie). Surprised was I to find the ramblings of a minor UK cultural figure from decades passed to be so entertaining. And I have been gleefully mining that rich seam since, which brought me to your pod. Great that your true self (albeit performing self) has room on these new platforms to be whole and real.

Comment by Gavin — April 14, 2016 @ 4:56 am

• Hi Adam

I just wanted to say thank you for the Bowiewallow 1+2

They articulated some of how I felt about the passing of David Bowie, although I wasn’t quite sure why I was so upset ( as I hadn’t met him or even seen him in person ).

I have subsequently downloaded and enjoyed your other podcasts

Top Podcasting Sir

Tony

Comment by tony — April 14, 2016 @ 7:24 pm

• So glad your back! I’m also glad you got a sponsor (the song makes me laugh too). I also think your podcasts are getting better and better. Please keep doing them….please? Hugs forever you funny hairy male man. Mandy Australia. (oh yeah, and of course David Bowie is{not was} wonderful, inspiring and fascinating.

Comment by Mandy — April 16, 2016 @ 7:08 am

• Hi Adam,

Thank you for your Bowiewallows and also for the tweet you sent soon after the awful news broke – it mentioned your 2013 radio programme about Bowie. I listened to that and your love of Bowie helped me make sense of why I felt so sad.

Please keep the podcasts coming. I really enjoy the warmth you bring to long-form interviews.

Love you, bye! Dr Dan

Comment by Dr Dan — April 16, 2016 @ 9:01 am

• This is the kind of contemplative, objective yet personal retrospective of Bowie that no other mainstream media outlet could muster. They used to be able to – I recall the night Peter Cook died, BBC 6 0’clock news managed an in depth tribute Sky Arts and Newsnight could not or do not do these days. I’m a podcast fan and a Mr Buxton fan but I also wonder why the UK audience – hoi polloi – need to go seeking profundity and detail in cultural reportage in the niche downloadable strata of the web. Even my native BBC and ITV Scotland, now the twee-est of twee regional programming – used to muster ‘ExS’ and ‘NB’ twenty years ago. Mr Buxton et al can no longer afford to be self effacing about the quality of his work – and the work of others on podcasts. Can the UK’s comic minds bring a little more of this onto mainstream TV and bulldoze the panel show infestation with it?

Comment by Gavin Cunningham — April 16, 2016 @ 5:35 pm

• Hi Adam,

I have only recently listened to this due to various reasons I fell behind in podcastery. Anyway I finally got round to this, today and I am not ashamed to admit that I burst out crying on the way home from work. I didn’t cry at the time and generally share bad dad’s view on such public displays of grief when it comes to celebs, but your words particularly your interview with Dara made well up! Cant wait to see you at the Bug show in Glasgow on Monday!

Love you BYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEE

Grant

Comment by Grant Bradford — May 5, 2016 @ 8:06 pm

• I’m VERY happy to find you have made more Podcasts Adam. That interview with Johan Renck was bloody brilliant. X

Comment by Phil — May 10, 2016 @ 8:52 pm

• Hi Adam,

I don’t know if you read these messages any more but I just wanted to say how much I was touched by both your Bowiewallow episodes. 2016 has been the shittest of shit years what with many notable public figures disappearing into the clouds above and our current climate disappearing into the cesspit below. I’m listening to station to station right now and his artistry outlive his mortality beyond anything we can imagine.

Keep up the good work. I’ll be listening. X

Comment by Eoin — July 13, 2016 @ 1:05 am

• AMAGAD special thanks for recommending the Pixies. Just had to pause in my sliding around across the tiled hallways in my socks to say – you just defined a moment in my musical education. It’s SO good. My dad is massive Eno / Byrne / Talking Heads fan, but he never played any Bowie and never even mentioned the Pixies. Why am I blaming my dad? I am, as you might say, a fully grown human female person! Man this is really great.

Comment by D L — August 21, 2016 @ 5:38 pm

• Lived these Bowie podcasts. Thank you so much.

Comment by Lorna — January 14, 2017 @ 2:53 pm

• Count Buckules, thank you so much for all the ramble chats. I’ve just listened to your 2013 Bowie show again and it’s a revelation each time. You should try to get Enda Walsh (playwright and cowriter of the Lazarus musical) on your podcast. Love you, byeeeeeeeee from Canada!

Comment by OTW — March 7, 2017 @ 7:26 am

• Jonathan Ross really is an articulate interesting person, very insightful and funny, his bits were great. Oh that doesn’t sound right never mind.

Comment by King Harold — May 23, 2017 @ 8:39 pm

• Great podcast. Not an emotional outpouring from a mega fan, that would be too predictable. This was thoughtful and pre considered. Very well done. I just have to comment on something Johnanthan Ross said, – that Bowie’s worst ever haircut was when he performed heroes on the Marc Bolan show. Bowie was all about the haircuts, ( his worst was during the serious moonlight tour, a permed wave, peroxide yellow quiffed bouffant, and not in any way good), I think Bowie on that Marc TV show, Heroes performance, personifies the coolest a human being has ever looked in the history of mankind. Understated compared with many of his other personas. A new wave micro mullet, aviator shades, simple grey dagger collar dress shirt, sleeves unbuttoned and flapping, slim jeans. I currently model myself on this look and as a result am ‘definately’ the coolest man at the train station every morning. Some may call it the creepy look, but hey, women and children have considered me creepy my whole life, so why change that now? I achieve the Heroes haircut by doing it myself with some dog clippers, so it’s a good money saving barnet as well as being by a country mile, the coolest mop in town.

Comment by Nige — May 26, 2017 @ 10:52 am