PODCAST EP.16 – PUB WALK WITH GARTH JENNINGS

Episode 16 of the podcast is another conversation with my friend Garth Jennings. He came to visit me in Norwich in December 2015 and we walked to the pub and back with Rosie. As we walked we talked about how Garth’s Lemon Tart story from podcast episode 6 had gone down with his nearest and dearest and he updated me on his progress with the animated film he’s working on in Paris (‘Sing’).

I also told him the story of how I found myself on the set of E.R. dressed up as Ken Korda, and we reminisced about a meal we’d shared a long time ago in Paris at Les Ambassadeurs -- the restaurant in the Hôtel de Crillon. I found some pretty crappy pictures we took that night and the place looks as lavish as I remembered but with perhaps less room between the tables -- I guess they were packing them in after all! People have asked if I ended up paying the bill. Well, I think I did, but perhaps that’s something else I’ve misremembered. I could check my bank statements I guess, but there may be other things I should be doing before that…

Podcast music/jingles by Adam Buxton except outro music bed from ‘Wario’s Woods’ game (Dr Buckles remix. Music composed by Shinobu Amayake, Soyo Oka, 1994)

• Good stuff Bucko! Glad that you are back.

Comment by Jonny 'Big Balls' McKowski — April 19, 2016 @ 9:22 pm

• Just (mis)heard a lyric and thought you might approve. Was listening to the song ‘Bed of Nails’ by Wild Beasts and thought I heard them sing:

‘Be blatant as a bayleaf’

I was on a coach at the time, and thought about the lyric for a while. In particular, I was thinking that adding a bayleaf to something DOES create quite a blatant flavour (even more so if you accidentally eat it), and therefore the lyric was pretty good (if a bit weird). However, I then googled it and realised it is ACTUALLY ‘blatant as a bailiff’. Which is a silly lyric.

Do feel free to use this anecdote in any bayleaf advert voiceover work you do.

Comment by Gus — April 20, 2016 @ 4:37 pm

• So glad to have the podcasts back again, they really make my week. Looking forward to seeing you at the underbelly in May!

P.s. The “My name is Adam Buxton I’m a man” jingle is far too catchy. It also reminds me of this Neko Case song, Man https://open.spotify.com/track/3DHSXEW8oE3w147ZrCBS8h

Comment by Beth Clinto — April 20, 2016 @ 8:17 pm

• Dear Adam Buxton. We are going to need a whole load more podcasts I’m afraid. At LEAST one a week, preferably more. Thank you.

Comment by Joe — April 22, 2016 @ 8:57 am

• Yay for ramble chat, love it!

Comment by Tackyfairy — April 23, 2016 @ 1:41 pm

• Only just got around to listening to this one thanks to listening device issues. Laughed my flipping socks off – so thanks to you and Garth. Trailer for his film looks good. For some reason one of my kids thought your name was Alan Buxton…which instantly made me wonder what alternate career path you might have ended up on had that really been your name. Alan and Joe? They sound rubbish.

Comment by Simon — May 25, 2016 @ 11:45 pm

• Hilarious, charming, life affirming. Makes one feel one isn’t alone: the podcast equivalent of Bowie’s TOTP Starman appearance. Keep going, don’t change a thing, and thank you.

Comment by Richard Griffiths — August 9, 2016 @ 7:52 pm