PODCAST EP.19 – BEN SMITH aka DOC BROWN

In episode 19 of the podcast (can’t believe I’m still only on 19?!) I talked to British comedian, rapper, actor and writer Ben Smith aka Doc Brown about rap, getting into comedy, writing books for young children, Amy Winehouse, being offensive and the awesome power of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

‘I AM BEAR’ by BEN SMITH

It was a fun convo.

The podcast is taking a short break while I do some shows and an episode of Travel Man with Richard Ayoade! Episode 20 will be out around 25th May. Or soon after…

I wave at you with a sincere smile.

Adam

Music and jingles by Adam Buxton

Thanks to Seamus Murphy-Mitchell for production support and to Matt Lamont for additional editing.

ILLUSTRATION BY SALLY GROSART

• Just discovered you’ve been doing this podcast. Working my way through the episodes. A lot of the early ones mention audience feedback, so here’s some: I’ve enjoyed all your stuff since the Adam & Joe Show but think this is your best thing ever.

Comment by Mike — May 17, 2016 @ 3:15 pm

• Hey Adam, that was a good p-cast. I didn’t really know much about this guy, but he seems like a nice dude. It was a totally entertaining hour’s listen. Please keep casting your pods as they are really great. LoveyouBYE!

Comment by Mr C — May 20, 2016 @ 9:14 am

• HIM!!! I sen that bit on russel Howard’s show and never rememberd the performers’ name, i loved that RACIST! song; makes such a good point, the man is smart and was a lovely wiffle waffle. Look forward to more when you are back from your bowi wallow sharing tour :)

Comment by Tackyfairy — May 21, 2016 @ 1:00 pm

• Doc Brown is a class act. Got me listening to some old school hippity hop; Tribe called quest mostly. Always look forward to listening to these podcasts, absolutely makes my day. Cheers Bucks.

Comment by Wozza — May 21, 2016 @ 4:21 pm

• Fantastic podcast again. Probably shouldn’t listen while walking around Sainsbury’s; Not Now Bernard having a homicide on page 3 made me laugh out loud in the frozen aisle.

Comment by Kirsten — May 25, 2016 @ 9:16 am

• Dear Dr Buckles

I went to your show in Manchester last week. It was very brilliant. I also love your podcasts. Equally very brilliant. Please keep up your very brilliant work. All the best.

Comment by MJB — June 2, 2016 @ 10:16 am

• Adam,

I considered writing a comment where I would over analyze your podcast in a funny and over the top way, but then I got concerned that doing so would likely bruise your very fragile being. I instead decided to just say that I’m a fan from the US that came to know about about you through a friend giving me a copy of “Adam and Joe go to Tokyo” many years ago (I cannot speak to how the videos were obtained, but am sure they came from the sketchiest of sources). Anyway, I loved the series. Years past, and I rediscovered you guys when I started to get into podcasts around 2009 and listened to your BBC6 podshow. Now flash forward to last month when I learned that you are back. I’ve now spent the last couple weeks burning through your new podcast and loving it. Keep up the great work. I look forward to many more episodes. Love you bye!

Comment by Alex — June 3, 2016 @ 4:47 pm

• I recently had a stay in hospital – the only thing that got me through the night on the ward was listening to your podcasts – so I wanted to say thank you, they were great company – I’m happy to say they also drowned out the sound of the loud angry lady next to me complaining that I wanted my curtain shut (to my mind it is perfectly reasonable to have some privacy in hospital?!)

Ps the only slight issue of listening to 6 or 7 hours of chat whilst in and out of light slumber is that since that stay, which was over a week ago now, the Ramble Chat jingle has lodged itself firmly in my head and will not come out. I worry it has become a permanent part of my subconscious now- it’s just too damn catchy Adam….

Comment by Sam — June 9, 2016 @ 8:08 am

• Respect to Ben for bigging up Not Now Bernard, it is a solid gold classic. In the unlikely event that you’ve not read Eyeore’s Birthday from Winnie the Pooh to your wife I highly recommend it, most it goes over the kids’ heads.

Comment by Jason Kennedy — June 13, 2016 @ 11:12 am