PODCAST EP.21 – MARC RILEY

Podcast 21 was recorded in a little studio at Media City (the BBC’s mega complex in Salford, Manchester) on April 18th 2016, the day after I’d done a BUG Bowie Special at The Albert Hall in Manchester which Marc came along to.

Our podcast convo covers how Marc became one half of hugely popular radio duo Mark & Lard as well as the circumstances of his departure from indie music legends The Fall. We also talk favourite gigs, Bowie and being drunk on air. It was fun.

MARC RILEY & THE CREEPERS -- JUMPER CLOWN

THE FALL -- HEY MARC RILEY

THE FALL -- ROWCHE RUMBLE

THE FALL -- ON STAGE FIGHT, NY, 1998

Thanks to Seamus Murphy-Mitchell for podcast production support and Matt Lamont for convo edit help.

I made the music and jingles using various bits of software, loops and boxes.

I bid you fair dealing.

Adam B

• Ah I made a mistake buckulies. .. the jingle/epic arrangement I had in mind was actually what you played at the 49th minute mark. Such a great piece of music, I would live a download if you have no plans for it of course. Anyway, either way love your podcasts keep em going… luv u byeeeee

Comment by Chris — June 5, 2016 @ 4:18 pm

• I love your podcast!! <3 <3

are you doing a festival podcast for the season, like there used to be for glasto with yourself and adam?

Comment by Danjeli — June 10, 2016 @ 12:20 am

• Hello! Just to say that I bloody love listening to your podcasts. That’s it really. Thanks!

Comment by Aiden — June 14, 2016 @ 10:38 am

• Absolutely loving the podcast Dr Buckles. Just listened to the Jonny Greenwood episode, really interesting to get an insight into someone who is usually so enigmatic. The score for There Will Be Blood is my all time favorite. Just wanted to say looking forward to the future episodes, I’ve enjoyed all of them so far, even if I haven’t been familiar with the people you’re ramble-chatting with. Ta ra chuckles.

(I don’t mind you publishing this by the way)

Comment by Gerard Duggan — June 14, 2016 @ 4:17 pm

• Hi Dr Buckles.

Your podcasts have become a lovely part of my life. The Jonny Greenwood podcast is my highlight to date. I listened while driving from Manchester to Liverpool, and I felt bathed in love by the time I arrived (your description of Radiohead concert with your son, among other things).

On a different level, I am a longtime Radiohead fan and I face each new album with some trepidation, wondering whether they will continue to amaze. With this album, it sat unlistened for a couple of days as I got pretty anxious about potential disappointment – a bit like Schrödinger’s cat, where its magical potential would be preserved as long as I didn’t open the album (I have similar worries about Damon Albarn and Gaz Coombes). Anyway, all my worry was for nothing, as the album is wonderful. The great thing about the podcast was hearing Jonny’s love for what Radiohead do; hopefully this will do something to reduce my pre release tension in future. Thank you for providing that service.

If you do another podcast with any of the other members of Radiohead, could you ask them about doing some other UK concerts??

A minor point, but I’m loving your jingles.

p.s. you can publish this

Comment by Richard Smith — June 17, 2016 @ 1:27 pm

• p.p.s. Saw you do BUG – David Bowie in Manchester (May). Loved it. Laters, potaters

Comment by Richard Smith — June 17, 2016 @ 1:37 pm

• I’m your biggest Pakistani fan. Probably your only Pakistani fan. So probably your worse Pakistani fan as well. Anyways, I’ve never found another podcast that seems as natural as yours. They really do speed time up. Hope you make tons more.

Comment by Aneeq Khan — June 17, 2016 @ 6:05 pm

• Don’t chill out Furious B, these people are animals.

Comment by Ben — June 21, 2016 @ 3:14 pm

• Dear Buxton; I like your stuff. Always have, always will. These podcasts are tip top; I hope you make some cash out of them you should. Time to get the Merch sorted; maybe some Buxton dolls, t shirts, butt plugs and the like. The only other thing missing I think is a little bit of structure; I love the ramble but I did so enjoy your features when Adam and Joe were still a thing. If podcast guests could be forward announced regular like, you could ask a podcats questions section, thus giving chat node jump off exploration potentialization to involvacize yourself with. I also enjoyed your gift giving segment to Joe in the Christmas special; you could have a regular “gifted and talented” section, where you give your guest three gifts you think they might enjoy, and ask them what talent they would most like to possess that they don’t already. Please feel free to use these ideas, exactly and precisely as I have described them. Your slavish adherence will be thanks enough. Hail Eris! David Mounfield

PS check out the Odditorium podcast. I am one of the co-hosts. The idiot one.

Comment by david Mounfield — June 23, 2016 @ 12:52 pm

• Hey Adam, I love the podcasts, always cheer me up and have me in hysterics of laughter. This was a particularly fascinating one for me. In regards to people chatting at gigs while the band is playing yes that’s so annoying! A similar thing happened when I saw the Brian Jonestown Massacre around ten years ago. I was very excited to see them live. But a guy near us was standing with his back to the stage as the band played the first few songs loudly showing off about all the other times he’d seen them before. All I could think was “Well I haven’t seen them before and they’re playing now, so Shut up!” Anyway thanks for being the best Adam. I love you BYEEEEEEEEE

Comment by Ben — June 26, 2016 @ 5:58 am