PODCAST EP.30 – MICHAELA COEL

I recorded my conversation with Michaela Coel, (writer and star of BAFTA winning TV sitcom ‘Chewing Gum’) in the offices of Retort productions on September 9th 2016. If you’re in to exact timings, it was about 12.30pm when we started by talking about how Michaela wrote the first series of ‘Chewing Gum’. Quickly thereafter we talked in detail about bodily functions, finding and misplacing God, and sex clubs, amongst other things. Frequently coarse and explicit language was employed throughout so be warned -- this is not one for a family car journey.

The Malcom Gladwell podcast episode about satire that we spoke about briefly is here.

Thanks to Seamus Murphy-Mitchell for production support

I put the music and jingles together myself in case you’re wondering.

I’m grateful for your interest and I smile at you across the ether.

Abxt

• Hey Adam,

Screw the haters. Love the ‘my wife’ bits, laugh every time. Makes me feel like part of a little exclusive club of podcats, a bit like the way those people at Killing Kittens feel I’m sure. Me and my girlfriend use it all the time, ‘my wife’ that is not the sex club. Love the podcast

Comment by Liam G — September 25, 2016 @ 4:13 pm

• This was such a brilliant episode! Michaela is funny and engaging (as were you) and you managed to get some absolute gold.

Thank you for putting this together, love you byeeeeeeeee

Comment by Lydia — September 27, 2016 @ 8:01 am

• I love all your podcasts Adam but this one made me blush a little bit.

Comment by Kate in Berlin — September 29, 2016 @ 9:54 pm

• Hi Adam, I love your podcast, all the more because it had to grow on me, I wasn’t sure at first, which seems silly now that it’s grown and I love it. It makes me chuckle and that makes people look up at me in surprise, but mostly it cheers me up and, here’s the cheesy bit, inspires me to do more of what I’m good at. I recommended your podcast to my son, he’s 20 now so I know a lot about the young family stuff you compare notes with your buddies about, and he said yes, I know about him, he’s the guy that did the bug thing in the tent at the green man festival that I told you about that you missed, and I said oh really? Is he the guy? And he said yes, it’s him. So that was a nice neat bit of symmetry. Anyway, if you ever want to chat to an ordinary guest, I’m your man. Thanks again, Mike

Comment by Mike Howe — October 2, 2016 @ 8:06 pm

• Hey Capt. Buckles,

Not trying to blow smoke up your A-hole, but I think your jingles are fantastic – personal favourite is the ‘halfway through the podcast’ ditty… sleazy in all the right ways.

Any plans to release them as an album? I mean sure, I’d probably listen to it once before realising they work much better as part of the podcast. And their undoubted charm may wear thin played back to back. However as a consumer of your free podcast, I feel entitled to tell you what creative choices you should be making. So please hurry up and give me what I want!

Good day sir!

Comment by Martin Nash — October 5, 2016 @ 3:53 pm

• Another great podcast as ever! Appalled to hear the negative feedback about. ‘My wife’. Made me laugh in this episode almost as much as Louis’ singing in the last. Keep up the excellent work!

Comment by Erika M — October 6, 2016 @ 7:35 am

• Hey Ad,

Feel like your podcasts are going from strength to strength at the moment – loved your ramblechat with Michaela. And ‘My wife’ has become a staple saying in our household (I’m not even married).

A question… watching some old Bug episodes and just seen the one with the sushi song. In your next podcast can you PLEASE fill us in on the details about your experience filming this mad video? I’m thinking in particular the part where the Japanese girl squats above your face and appears to plop sushi all over your gaping mouth. Surely there’s a story there?

Much love, Lozenge

Comment by Lozenge — October 8, 2016 @ 10:49 pm

• You miiiiiight want to reinstate the ‘Explicit’ tag on itunes – it’s been missing from the past few and this one’s a corker…

I listened to it loud and proud in my large open plan office, but had to turn it down a little bit for the spunky jacuzzi section. But we’re all sexy human adults here so it was probably fine.

Have been listening to your work for so many years now and I have to say that being able to hear your solo podcasts brings me back to those 6 Music days when me and my colleague would tremble with laughter every Tuesday morning when the new one was released. Keep it up, you make coming to work a far better prospect.

Comment by Chris — October 11, 2016 @ 9:59 am

• Long time listener bur first time poster. great podcast but a brilliant guest. I liked Chewing Gum and she had a great little cameo in the first of the Black Mirrors this season. The idea of her doing her youth in about six months had me in stitches of thought. Keep up the good work.

Comment by Chris — November 8, 2016 @ 10:52 am