PODCAST EP.31 – RORY O’NEILL A.K.A PANTI BLISS

Podcast 31 features a conversation recorded back in July in Dublin with Irish drag artist and gay rights campaigner Rory O’Neill (aka Panti Bliss). He told me about growing up gay in 1970s Ireland, escaping to Tokyo, the practical challenges of life with HIV and how his 2014 appearance on an Irish TV chat show caused a media storm with some historic consequences (this is admittedly hyperbole, but only a bit).

For more Rory related fun I recommend the documentary about his life, ‘The Queen Of Ireland’ and you can see Panti’s hugely inspiring speech at the Abbey Theatre below. I very much enjoyed meeting Rory and we had a great talk. I hope you enjoy listening.

Oh, and for Jaco Pastorius related links (as mentioned in the podcast outro), see bottom of this post.

Thanks to Seamus Murphy-Mitchell for production support.

Music and jingles by Adam Buxton (I am referring to myself in the third person to make Adam Buxton sound more important and not just a dick like me).

Best of wishes

Abxt

• Great podcast. Only discovered these about a month ago and I’ve worked through the whole back catalog and now working through the old 6music shows too (which I heard at the time but worth revisiting)

My favourites before today were with Louis as these were mostly pure fun. This one was very interesting. I was unaware of Rory’s story and he spoke so well.

Great interview and subject.

I hope a sponsor comes along soon so you keep these coming.

Comment by Andrew — October 14, 2016 @ 10:47 am

• Pulling Dolly Parton lyrics out of your arse – what a way to make a living!

I didn’t know about Rory / Panti at all so this was an opener of the eye.

Belatedly discovering these podcasts and intrigued, charmed and amused. And sometimes really touched too. I thank you Adam.

Comment by Ben — October 14, 2016 @ 7:02 pm

• Adam

I haven’t listened to this particular podcast yet, but I just wanted to say that I recently got a shiny new phone (which I won’t be keeping in a top pocket when I do DIY) downloaded a podcasting app and found all your podcasts. What an absolute joy. I am genuinely ecstatic that I now have many hours of your company to look forward to, I am trying not to binge too hard, delayed gratification and all that. I love your work, you make a little corner of the world a happier place to be. Thank you. Rachael

Comment by Rachael Cowin — October 17, 2016 @ 2:01 pm

• Great episode – thanks Adam! Rory’s story was new to me. A very enlightening and warm conversation.

The recent Louis episode was hilarious. I saw a whole new side to him during the singing bit. ‘Yes Sir I Can Boogie’ had me in stitches – I must’ve played that bit back 3 or 4 times! :)

I love Hejira but have never heard of Jaco Pastorius. Just added a bunch of his stuff and looking forward to exploring it. The song ‘Come On, Come Over’ is funktastic. I also got into the Todd Barry podcast on your recommendation from an earlier episode with Jon Ronson.

Thanks for all that you do. Big fan

Comment by Pete — October 19, 2016 @ 7:01 am

• Hi Adam, just dropping you a line to say how much I’m enjoying your Podcast, I’m new to podcasts in general and yours was the first I tried, love it! Though as a newbie, I haven’t quite found out how to not look like a grinning lunatic or laughing out loud when on the bus to work……also, big thanks for the ramblechat jingle earworm! Anyhoo…that was all really, keep up the good work fella! More please! Love you…..bye! Dan (regards from chilly Edinburgh)

Comment by Dan Travis — October 21, 2016 @ 8:20 am

• Great interview, Adam, hope lots of people listen to it.

Comment by Kaspa — October 23, 2016 @ 9:22 pm

• It’s ironic that Adam Buxton, who is known for comedy, records an interview like this where the subject of child abusing priests and Aids is discussed. Shows how many layers Adam has. Nice one. I remember when, from out of nowhere, Aids arrived and was the incurable death plague of the modern world. The merest mention was terrifying. Of all the developments in science,it’s the progress in aids treatment that is maybe the most astonishing. It doesn’t seem long ago that aids was about the worst thing a person could contract. Even with the progress of treatment developing to a huge cocktail of drugs with side effects. I thought that was it, viruses are hard to combat. But to hear first hand how a single pill a day can stop the virus in it’s tracks is nothing short of miraculous. I’m in awe of the people who developed that treatment. If only cancer would become this treatable.

Comment by Painty finger — June 9, 2017 @ 4:33 pm

• by the way, I probably should have used the term HIV in relation to the virus, I know Aids is the disease that develops from having the HIV virus. That big stone slab carved with the word aids is imprinted on me forevermore. It was an effectively scary 1980s infomercial.

Comment by Painty finger — June 9, 2017 @ 4:57 pm