PODCAST EP.32 – TASH DEMETRIOU

Episode 32 of the podcast features a conversation with Natasia Demetriou who I met a couple of years ago at The Invisible Dot, a comedy venue in King’s Cross (that I’ve just heard is closing apparently). I was MCing the evening and Tash came on stage in a pizza (or possibly nacho) costume. She proceeded to slip in and out of a weird Mexican (?) accent, occasionally singing and doing an amusingly half hearted sexy dance. That may not sound good but it was the funniest thing I’d seen for a while.

She was in a pilot for BBC3 show called People Time with her sometime comedy partner Ellie White, her brother Jamie, Liam Williams, Alistair Roberts, Daran Johnson and Claudia O’Doherty -- some of the funniest people around at the moment for my money. This year they’ve been getting together (minus Claudia) to do a monthly web series called ’2016 Friends’ on Vimeo. It reminds me of some of Tim & Eric’s stuff in parts and is frequently terrific. You’ll find July’s episode (directed by Tash and Tom Kingsley) below.

My conversation with Tash was recorded on 28th June 2016 in London. I had recorded my podcast with Sally Wainwright earlier in the day and this was a nice contrast; an altogether sillier exchange that distracted from the post Brexit gloom.

Thanks to Seamus Murphy Mitchell for production support and Matt Lamont for additional editing.

Thanks as well to Dan Hawkins who kindly offered his services as an on line bass player and ended up providing a bass part for a new jingle on this week’s episode. Dan’s website is HERE.

I hug you for too long.

Adam B

Episode 7: July from 2016: Year Friends on Vimeo.

MICHAEL KIWANUKA -- BLACK MAN IN A WHITE WORLD

• I was at that very show and she definitely stuck in my mind too, but I had long forgotten the name. Looking forward to this one! Shame about the Invisible Dot… Aside from seeing your good self there on several occasions I also caught a few shows by Tim Key, and discovered the awesome sketch group Massive Dad (possibly on the same night as Tash?). They put on so many good shows, I wish I’d gone to more. Thanks Adam for so many amazing podcasts and everything else you’ve done, literally not a day goes past without my wife (MY WIFE!) and I referencing your podcasts, jokes or catchphrases in one way or another which always brings a smile to our faces!

Comment by Gareth — October 25, 2016 @ 1:25 pm

• I couldn’t find Tash’s age :(

Comment by leighton gilbert — October 26, 2016 @ 9:17 am

• Dr B!

In the excellent Tash Demetrius podcast you wondered aloud whether a middle class person has ever gone down the mines in a quest to be a working class hero. Well wonder no more! The barrister John Platts-Mills QC did so during the war (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Platts-Mills) and romanticises about the experience at length in his biography ‘Muck, Silk and Socialism’.

Iloveyoubye

Comment by Discokingdave — October 26, 2016 @ 5:20 pm

• I’m frequently finding myself getting angry because it seems everyone around me just speaks over the top of each other. It’s something I detest and pull people up on all the time, but it’s becoming more common for people to simply not listen to anything anyone else is saying. I’d have hated being on Buzzcocks for this very reason.

Maybe the best way to deal with it is to sing the Points of View theme tune at full volume when they speak over you.

BLAH BOOBIDY BAYAAA BAH BAA!!!!

Comment by Sam — October 27, 2016 @ 1:01 pm

• Ohh dear, interrupting is the thing i always get the fear about after a night out. i think i don’t actually get out anywhere near enough, so when i do i get far too excited and drink and talk A LOT. So when i’m feeling all ill and terrible the next day i get the dreadful panics that i’ve been a massive fatmouth interrupter. It’s not good. Unlike this episode, which was good.

loveyoubye x

Comment by Sue Yates — October 27, 2016 @ 6:02 pm

• Enjoyed it, Adam. Thank you. Cheers, Ardith

Comment by Ardith — November 2, 2016 @ 7:23 pm

• Just wanted to say I love the podcast. I loved you on 6Music etc too but this had somehow passed me by, so I’m delighted to find it. I have finally caught you up, having worked my way through the lot in a few weeks.

The pod-discovery was timely because (if you don’t mind me saying) my life has been pretty shit recently, and this has been one of few things to put a smile on my face (the reason why my mate rightly recommended it to me). I mention this because the issue of mental health has come up in a few episodes and, hopefully, to put a small smile on your face too, to return the favour. You are good medicine in tough times…

Now I’ve caught you up, I’m bereft, so hurry up and release more, faster!

Iloveyoubye…

Comment by AH — November 3, 2016 @ 2:35 pm

• Similar to AH, I’ve also been bulk listening recently – mostly while out walking.

I noticed you haven’t done listener location breakdowns in a while, but it might be of interest that I spent some time yesterday listening to your podcast while walking along the shore in Jeddah in Saudi Arabia. This episode.

All that talk about bums and farts was really jarring against the very conservative surroundings. It was, to be honest, just what I needed; so thanks!

Comment by CKM — April 7, 2017 @ 5:19 pm