PODCAST EP.33 – MATT BERRY

Episode 33 features a ramble chat with Matt Berry and myself. It was recorded one afternoon in June 2016 in the garden of a club in Soho called the House of St Barnabas. We talked about Matt’s band The Maypoles, how Matt got started in comedy, working with Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer whose sitcom House Of Fools Matt appears in, The I.T. Crowd, Toast, Clem Fandango and the highly skilled art of the voice over.

Thanks to Seamus Murphy-Mitchell for production support.

Thanks to Dan Hawkins (not the guy in The Darkness) for playing on the jingle at 11.15 ish.

Chin up Rosie.

A double cheek smooch.

Adam Buxt

• Of course they hire you cos you’re Adam Buxton!!! If not all your V/O work would got to my next door neighbour Bob.

Another great episode.

Comment by Minkymanky — November 25, 2016 @ 11:19 am

• Just binged listened to the whole set of podcasts up to and including this one and have enjoyed every one, for many different reasons but consistently because of your hosting abilities. Louis Theroux’s awful singing on the most recent podcast you did with him was hilarious. Currently watching ‘Time Trumpet’ which my long suffering girlfriend got me for my birthday because “he’s got a man crush on Adam Buxton”. I wouldn’t go that far, but encourage you to keep up the good work! The only other podcast I have listened to was Serial, seasons 1 and 2. So it’s good to get some relief from all that seriousness :)

Comment by Matthew Haynes — November 29, 2016 @ 12:43 pm

• thanks for keeping me entertainerised during stacking of huge amount of CDs into lovely new (antique) sideboard… and previously during decorating marathon, sickness, health and abject laziness

Comment by paul fuller — December 1, 2016 @ 10:41 am

• Great podcast as always Dr Buckules! (Always wanted to hear it pronounced “boo-koo-leth”, ethpañol style)

Made me want to watch that episode of Toast with Josh Homme again!

Here’s a humble music recommendation for thee : RICHARD DAWSON, Geordie freak-folk weirdo with a broken guitar. All tracks that I know of are good, check out “The Vile Stuff”, “Wooden Bag”, “Final Moments of the Universe” and “Judas Iscariot” if at all possible.

The oriental style at times remind me of Jonny’s recent album, I think the Indian style of devotional music is the same!

This comment is getting way too long. My love for your podcast and all that you produce is just pouring out. Keep up the good work.

Comment by Clem West (or Papa Dooku or Facecloth Pi or Pelvis McQueen) — December 1, 2016 @ 9:58 pm

• I very much enjoyed this podcast, as well as some of the older ones, whilst sitting through a compulsory 5 hour driving lesson in Korea. I have found that your podcasts are perfect for sitting through compulsory 5 hour driving lessons in other languages, and I would recommend that anybody else who finds themself having to sit through a compulsory 5 hour driving lesson consider taking a few of your podcasts along.

Just to be clear, this was a classroom lesson. Listening to podcasts during a compulsory 5 hour driving lesson that was in a moving car would be a bit too reckless for me.

Thanks,

Keep up the good work.

Comment by Jim — December 7, 2016 @ 6:59 am

• This was frickin great. It’s rare to have the opportunity to learn about the real Matt Berry. I hope he’s back on the screen again soon. I miss Toast already! It would be insanely cool if you guys did some writing together. BRING BACK MEEBOX (most underrated sketch show ever)!

Comment by Chris Mackenzie — December 8, 2016 @ 2:48 pm

• Adam Buxton! These podcasts are great! They’re genuinely the absolute highlight of my podcast listening… and I listen to This American Life! Really hope there will be more soon.

Comment by David — December 16, 2016 @ 5:40 pm