PODCAST EP.34 – ADAM & JOE

The Christmas 2016 podcast is not as Christmassy as the 2015 one. It features a few bits from the live shows I did with Joe at the BFI Southbank on December 15th 2016 and some other bits recorded the day after that show at Joe’s office in London. No proper gift exchanging this year, though I have been playing a lot with the empty Apple Mac box Joe gave me. Instead Joe and I exchanged a couple of shameful meltdown stories (mine more involved and more shameful than Joe’s I think), I told Joe about how doing silly accents can get you into some very embarrassing trouble, Joe read out a few egg corns that people submitted on my blog (thanks very much by the way to EVERYONE who submitted stuff for the live show) and Joe also shared a few film recommendations from 2016. There’s also a few olden nuggets in the form of Bobbles and The Queen, (both of whom should surely be congratulated for somehow managing to make it through 2016).

A few people asked if I was going to post all of the live shows in podcast form but much of those featured video and other things you really needed to be in the room to appreciate, so they wouldn’t work as audio only podcasts. It was a lot of fun doing the shows, despite my ongoing tenacious coughcold (NOT Man-Flu, and I find it offensively sexist to suggest as much) and I hope that when our calendars align, Joe and I may do more live shows along similar lines. After all, it’ll be the 20th anniversary of something we did together for several years now. Then it’ll be time to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the 20th Anniversary show. Except this coughcold will have killed me long before then. Man-Flu indeed. SMH (I had to squirt an entire bottle of irony sauce on that particular acronym to make it even vaguely palatable)

SHOOBY TAYLOR

We began our live show with a story about the man whose voice could be heard near the beginning of every episode of the Adam & Joe Show just before the theme music kicked in -- Shooby Taylor. If you don’t know about Shooby, then your life is about to get more enjoyable. Here’s the full version of the song we sampled, Shooby at the peak of his scat powers on Lift Every Voice And Sing. Someone has lovingly transcribed every one of Shooby’s inspired scat phrases on that song HERE. And for other profiles of similarly eccentric musical talents like The Shaggs, Daniel Johnston, Harry Parch, and Florence Foster Jenkins, check out Irwin Chusid’s excellent book Songs In The Key Of Z.

BOWIE BITS

Mary Anne Hobbs will be on BBC6 Music on January 8th 2017 celebrating what would been Bowie’s 70th birthday along with many others no doubt. On 7th January 2017 on BBC2 at 9pm you can see DAVID BOWIE -- THE LAST FIVE YEARS by the same director who made the DAVID BOWIE -- FIVE YEARS doc which was so great (and can be seen on Netflix I think). Here’s a home made trailer for the new doc by superfan and brilliant archival ‘reimagineer’, Nacho.

GRIEFCAST WITH CARIAD LLOYD

Podcast in which actor/comedian Cariad Lloyd talks to comedians about their experiences of grief in various forms. A mixture of funny and sad. I talk to Cariad about losing my Pa in November 2015 in the first episode HERE.

JOE’S MOVIE 2016 PICKS

A few of the films Joe enjoyed in 2016 that he mentions on the podcast:

SON OF SAUL (2015, directed by László Nemes)

SING STREET (2016, directed by John Carney)

LITTLE MEN (2016, directed by Ira Sachs)

THINGS TO COME (2016, directed by Mia Hansen-Løve)

OUR LITTLE SISTER (2015, directed by Hirokazu Koreeda)

PATERSON (2016, directed by Jim Jarmusch)

WOLF AND SHEEP (2016, directed by Shahrbanoo Sadat)

THE CONJURING 2 (2016, directed by James Wan)

HACKSAW RIDGE (2016, directed by Mel Gibson)

That’s it for now. See you in 2017. Hoping to be back with a new season of podcasts around March/April. Til then, I bid you happy times. love Abuxt

Filed under ADAM BUXTON PODCAST and THE ADAM & JOE SHOW

• Just listening to brilliant podcast. After a weird 2017 it’s lovely to hear this present box of fun!

Yeah the coughs not good. It’s a 2016 bad cough, but 2017 will be a cough that produces butterfly’s and honey. Peace!

Comment by Richard Sharp — January 2, 2017 @ 8:23 am

• Hi Adam.

Thanks for all the podcasts. They’re great. Nothing much more of note for me to say I’m afraid but I figured if you have something nice to say you might as well.

Comment by Alex Gale — January 3, 2017 @ 8:22 am

• Love you guys and miss you on 6 musak, spread more happiness please love you byeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment by Doo — January 3, 2017 @ 1:53 pm

• Really enjoyed this, especially the magic floor cleaning face bit!

Can you post a picture of Rosie? I can never picture the doge in my head.

Comment by Phil — January 3, 2017 @ 1:55 pm

• Hey Adam, thanks for the podcast. On the topic of funny accents, Julien d’Huy, who spoke on a recent Scientific American podcast about the evolution of myths, has a fantastic french accent, which I think you will very much enjoy.

Comment by Gordon Cameron — January 4, 2017 @ 12:30 pm

• Hi Adam,

Happy New Year. Just a quick eggcorn for you. My friend Paul went to visit his 99 year old grandfather last year and he found him crying with laughter. His grandfather explained he’d just be speaking to one of his ‘young lady friends’ (a 75 year old woman) who had said:

“Oooh, I’m so worried about my husband. He’s gone into hospital to have a caffetiere fitted!”

Comment by Ben Meadowcroft — January 6, 2017 @ 10:29 am

• Hi Adam, Hope all is well. Rumour has it that you like the musical styling of David Bowie. I recorded a version of Warszawa which you may or may not like, well it’s not shit. Hope you enjoy it.

Regards, Brendan, Ireland.

Listen to Warszawa (Bowie Cover) by Brendan Hill #np on #SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/brendan-hill/warszawa-bowie-cover

Comment by Brendan Hill — January 9, 2017 @ 11:32 am

• Loved it as usual. Been listening to a few of the other podcasts you’ve been on too seeing as there’ll be no more new ones from you for a bit – although kind of better slow down seeing as it’s still January and there’s a bit of a wait. Anyways, griefcast was excellent – which is a weird thing to say given the subject? Really thought provoking though. Going to listen to more of those- and comedien’s comedien. Any podcast recommendations? Keep doing your stuff, love it.

Comment by Laura — January 13, 2017 @ 2:33 pm

• I’m a new(ish) podcat, having been introduced to your brilliant series last year.

Having been feeling a bit overwhelmed by apparently being in my mid 30s and having the vague suspicion that there’s some memo that others my age seem to’ve had where I’m supposed to’ve achieved something by now, it’s been pretty super to spend my commutes listening to others articulate so well, all the self-doubts, silliness, disappointments and general dumb-funny conversations that make life interesting.

It’s been just the ticket, given me a spring in my step, and provided laugh out loud, sing along to jingalong moments.

Anyway, enough of the rambling. All I really wanted to say was keep on keeping on.

(As an aside, did you, or anyone else by chance, used to watch an American show, possibly back in the late 90s/early 00s, on late at night, where a dorky teenage kid interviewed celebrities/people in his parents’ living room/basement? I think it was somewhere snowy. Been trying to figure out what it was forever but no-one else seems to’ve watched it!).

Comment by Jes — January 13, 2017 @ 7:51 pm

• It’s 1 am, and I did fall alseep about a third of the way through, but that’s because I’m tired. I’m not really a podcast person – I’m an old-fogey, late-adopter kind of person – so this is one of the few I’ve ever (partly) listened to. Big fan of AB so couldn’t put it off any longer. Now looking forward to the new series in the spring :) Tally-ho!

Comment by Adrian — January 26, 2017 @ 1:10 am

• Hi! Just like to say your podcasts have been shared /enjoyed with a few friends of mine here in Melbourne Australia. Living in Norwich till I was 25,my 19 yr old son introduced me – thoughtful of him as he said I would like listening to you & fab guests & make me feel connected to the old country ! Have loved all the chit chat while I go on the 5km walk by the bay.Can’t wait for new episodes .Thanks . Take care or as my mother says”mind how you go”(Norfolkism)! Cate Gibbon

Comment by Cate Gibbon — February 11, 2017 @ 3:36 am

• That story was very funny but your wife was right.

Comment by Mrs Buckles — February 14, 2017 @ 4:26 pm

• Hi Adam, just a quick note to say thanks for some really imaginative and fun broadcasting. Perhaps it’s an age thing (I was born in ’68) but I feel you have such a good angle and view on this life and time we live in and it’s wonderful having someone to listen to who I can relate to. I check in regularly to see if there’s something new on the Podcast channel and have enjoyed everything to date (apart from the chat with the Sally – not your fault but I found her a little tense). The most recent chat with Joe was top bananas and Joe’s films tips were excellent – we’re slowly working through them and have enjoyed them thoroughly. Could you two put your heads together on a more regular basis and recommend some more great films as they emerge?

Anyway I’m sure you must be deluged with correspondence so thanks again for all your entertaining and excellent work and look forward to the next chat.

Best wishes,

Simon & Candida (Devon & Oxford listeners).

Comment by Simon Moore — February 15, 2017 @ 9:54 am

• Christmas was aaaaages ago. When’s the next one? Can’t wait :)

Comment by CandyMcsays — February 21, 2017 @ 7:53 pm

• Mr Buxton I dearly hope this isn’t the final installment of the podcast series, it’s been such a pleasure having you as a companion on my many travels last year. It must take alot of time to produce these each month. Perhaps sometimes it feels the reward isn’t worth the investment? I know when I used to blog there was nothing more welcome than a positive comment, and it burdens me none taking the time to say just how wonderful I think your podcast is, and inform you that checking for new content on your site is the first thing I do online.

Regardless of podcast shenanigans I wish you all the best for all future projects.

Comment by Chris — February 23, 2017 @ 10:16 am

• Hi, really like your podcast. Looking forward to the next one. You choose good interviewees. Currently listening to Kathy Burke episode. She’s great. Would you consider giving someone else the mic for an episode, (Louis Theroux?), and having him interview you? I think that would be a very interesting episode.

Comment by Andy — March 6, 2017 @ 8:18 pm

• If you go to the transcribed Shooby Taylor page, Google asks if you want to translate it. If you click yes it actually has a go. You can see what Shooby was actually trying to say!

Comment by Stuart Wailing — May 24, 2017 @ 3:04 pm