PODCAST EP.35 – STEVE COOGAN

Podcast 35 features a conversation with Steve Coogan! You know who Steve Coogan is, right? Good. I didn’t take a picture of us together because that always feels like the last thing you want to do after you’ve spent an hour or more talking to someone. And asking for a picture up front would be weird way to put the other person at ease. I’m sure he wouldn’t have minded, but, there you go. That’s why there’s not many selfies on here. I’m sorry.

It was exciting to meet Steve and he was interesting, sharp, funny and candid throughout our conversation, which took place in January 2017 at his house near Brighton. It was a lovely sunny day, albeit blustery. Steve made tea and we sat in his kitchen. I was still struggling with a record breaking ‘cold’ (probably North Korean Space Flu or worse) that I got before Christmas, so my voice is a little tired sounding. It’s pretty much better now, thanks.

Thanks also to Steve, Rob Brydon (for telling Steve he should do the podcast) Seamus Murphy-Mitchell for production support and Matt Lamont for additional editing. The new artwork for the podcast (which makes me look much more handsome and much less grumpy than I am in real life) is by the brilliant Helen Green.

I bid you cool headed contentment.

love Adam Buxt

ALAN PARTRIDGE AUDIOBOOKS!

STEVE’S ENTERTAINING AUTIOBIOGRAPHY!

• Hi Buckles,

Loved this episode – two of my favourite comedy people together at last.

Given the Rob Brydon connection, have you thought about trying to get Julia Davis on the show? I seem to remember you speaking to her hubby (Julian Barratt) for your Big Mixtape (it was a wicked one). Would be great to hear an interview with her.

Safeways,

David, Camberwell

ps I’m pretty sure I saw Joe (of Adam and Joe fame) in my tiny local south London park the other day, together with his lady-partner. Curiously, he appeared to be picking up litter with one of those long grabby litter-picking contraptions.. I can imagine you doing this, but not Cornballs. Perhaps he’s doing community service?

Comment by David Jobanputra — March 28, 2017 @ 1:47 pm

• Knowing me (Random Podcat), knowing you (Dr. Buckles). A-ha!

Needles in hay, you are the Miyagi of ramble chat. Happy snaps for you and your episode with Steve Coogan.

I’m going to do a ‘Rob Brydon’ and tell my friend Tom Hollander that he should do the podcast.

Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom…

TOM!

Chin tickles and awkward staring,

RP x

Comment by Random Podcat — March 28, 2017 @ 2:48 pm

• Congratulations on the award, Adam. This listener certainly appreciates you and your podcast. Cheers, Ardith

Comment by Ardith — March 30, 2017 @ 7:54 pm

• Welcome back! It’s been too long since I’ve sung along with the theme tune on my way to work – in the car of course, I’m not crazy!

Well done on the award. Had I been aware I would have voted, but wasn’t so I didn’t. Looking forward to more award winning podcasts!

Comment by Stuart R — March 31, 2017 @ 11:51 am

• Thanks Adam Buxton for making me seem like a really happy and positive person! I wonder around to work and around work and to the gym and at the shops etc listening to your podcasts ( I’m a late comer) and they always make me smile from ear to ear making me look super content and maybe even confident! It’s like I’ve had really cheap therapy and a quick make over, until I have to take out my earphones. Good work, keep it up! ( virtual pat on the back in a condescending but jokey way cos I mean it) :-)

Comment by Samantha Smith — March 31, 2017 @ 6:04 pm

• Hi Adam, I am a Quartermaster.

I would like to know what comes after “smile and a thumbs up” in “like and subscribe”. Something about a bums up?

I like to sing your jingles but get stuck on this one.

Love you, bye!

Comment by Quartermaster 1 — April 2, 2017 @ 1:57 pm

• Yay! You’re back. Man I missed your show. Really helped me through a small but tough time. Another great show and new jingles! Good, solid interview as usual.

I’d love one day if you interviewed YOU and we get a breakdown of some of your insights, especially one just related to your jingles and songs which I bloody love. Sushi I must play almost every other day, I’d buy remixes it’s such a belter of a tune.

Award well deserved, LOVE your show and everything you do, you’re an inspiration sir. p.s I would get such respect from my wife (‘My wife!’) if you liked a tweet or something trivial of mine. (@FLYGUY) Think of it as digital version of me asking for your photo or signature.

I love you, BYEEEE!

Comment by FLYGUY — April 3, 2017 @ 5:36 am

• Heyyyyy! You’re back..and nobody told me…there are 4 whole episodes to listen to…..yay! And now you’re on the telly too…i thought i’d put it on in the vague chance something not too shit might be on…and there you are! Hooray! Great to have the podcast back, for reals. Love you, byyyeeeeeeee. x

Comment by Sue Yates — April 14, 2017 @ 7:05 pm