PODCAST 37 & 38 – BRIAN ENO

Podcast episodes 37 & 38 feature a couple of rambly convos with Brian Eno. Yes, I was excited. I had two relatively short sessions with Brian in his West London studio -- the first was in October 2016 (that’s Part One) and the second (that you can hear in Part Two) was recorded in February of this year (2017). The photo below shows Brian in his studio. I didn’t take it but it looks fairly recent. Below the photo are some links to bits and pieces we spoke about and other Eno related odd and ends you might like.

If you enjoy the podcast you may feel moved to vote for it in the British Podcast Awards!

Photograph by Rick Pushinsky

COMPRESSION ARTIFACTS

A couple of the images I printed out onto postcards for Brian as a nod to the Oblique Strategies cards. The image on the left was the first one he looked at that he said reminded him of a photograph he’d taken at the beach in Lowestoft. The image on the right is another example of the kind of pleasing, painterly effects you sometimes get with digital compression when it goes wrong. At one point I even started making an oil painting based on some of these images. I’m waiting for the right moment to get back to that. ‘There isn’t one Buckles!’ I hear you shout. You’ll change your tune when I sell it to Evil Megacorp for a million quidpounds to hang in their lobby.

JOJO MAYER PLAYING DRUMS

I think this is the concert that Brian talks about on part one of the podcast. Me’Shell Ndegeocello playing in Monteux in 1995 with Jojo Mayer on drums.

ENO BOOKS

A Year With Swollen Appendices‘ features hugely entertaining diary entries by Eno with a ‘swollen appendix’ of essays, articles and talks from the mid 90s.

Also strongly recommended for the Enophile is David Sheppard’s insanely detailed ‘On Some Faraway Beach: The Life and Times of Brian Eno‘.

GAVIN BRYARS -- JESUS BLOOD NEVER FAILED ME

Here’s the long version of the track. And here’s Gavin Bryars talking about the track with Tom Waits on an Italian music show. And finally, the full version of the interview snippet with Gavin that I read out on the podcast.

ADDENDUM: I just listened again to the full version of ‘Jesus Blood’ and I was wrong about the vocal fading out entirely by the end. It’s there all the way through. MORE FAKE NEWS. Sad.

MY LIFE IN THE BUSH OF GHOSTS

KATHRYN KUHLMAN

The creepy preacher whose estate refused permission for her voice to be used on Bush Of Ghosts was not Elizabeth Kuhlman as Brian says, but Kathryn. Perkier than Brian’s impersonation, but you can hear how well her voice would have worked on Jezebel Spirit. Thanks for the tip off Mikola.

DOWNLOAD MP3 OF PART ONE FROM SOUNDCLOUD

DOWNLOAD MP3 OF PART TWO FROM SOUNDCLOUD

• Listened to these both back-to-back in the morning and really enjoyed them. I knew of Brian Eno but wasn’t that familiar with his work so the pods were a really interesting and engaging time for my ears and brain. Keep up the good work, Dr. Buckles!

Comment by Kit — April 7, 2017 @ 12:25 pm

• Hi Adam, Could you post up the link to the youtube film you mentioned where Brian Eno turns the tables of the guy who is intrusively filming him? CAn’t wait to hear podcast 2 this evening! With many thanks, Alasdair Dickson, Edinburgh.

Comment by Alasdair Dickson — April 7, 2017 @ 2:51 pm

• I always remember that Channel 4 used the opening bars from ‘Regiment’ (I think) as the theme for American Football back in the 1980s. Good couple of ramble-chats. Thanks.

Comment by Tobs — April 8, 2017 @ 3:51 pm

• ooh, so now I’m wondering whether the ‘like & subscribe’ ditty Adam did for his podcasts is influenced by the Gavin Bryars thing? – vocals gradually fade leaving just the music, but you keep hearing Adam singing anyway?!

Comment by Robb — April 8, 2017 @ 11:41 pm

• Lovely work, Adam! Most fascinating thing for me as a chap with a shambly type of brain is how Eno can nip down all sorts of conversational side streets and alleyways but find his way back to the main thoroughfare of his thesis. None of this, “Um, how did we get here? What were we talking about?” Says a lot, I think, about his mind operation in general. You were good too.

Comment by Keefaz — April 9, 2017 @ 1:13 pm

• Absolutely loved these Eno pods. Such a wise, interesting geezer. Sounds like a thoroughly nice chap, too.

Comment by Adam Sear — April 9, 2017 @ 1:28 pm

• Quality rambles, both. I think the cards worked great.

Comment by Dave P — April 9, 2017 @ 8:09 pm

• Just listened to the Brian Eno podcasts. Really, really enjoyed them. By the by, I thought the cards in the first part worked really well, producing quite revealing answers.

Comment by David Sunderland — April 10, 2017 @ 6:19 am

• Thanks for the link to the Gavin Bryars song. This is wonderful. I’d heard it many months ago but never caught the track name. Top Job there Buckles x

Comment by Kay — April 10, 2017 @ 4:59 pm

• absolutely loved the first Brian Eno ep – probably my favourite yet of your podcasts. My studio blew up today so whilst they were fixing it, I spent the most enjoyable hour listening. So articulate and thoughtful. Really enjoyed his ideas of slowing everything down to half speed and of not over-cluttering. spotted “Electric Guitar Country” apple loop!

really looking forward to part 2

Comment by Simon — April 10, 2017 @ 6:52 pm

• Hi Adam, loved the podcast went to your new merchandise page and the link did not work,thought you might want to know

Comment by Ben Meadows — April 11, 2017 @ 12:48 pm

• Dr B, all good conversations/interviews are discursive, or as you rightly describe them, ‘ramble chats’! Eno has such a beautiful mind and these are terrific interviews. You rightly just let him drift around, let him pick up what ever takes his fancy, and nudge him in various directions every now and then. You’re a fine interviewer. Love your jingles/musical interludes too by the way – please do more!

Comment by James Carter — April 11, 2017 @ 3:42 pm

• Lovely listen that – nice.

What was the Fender Rhodes (?) piece at 40.32? (trainspotterish I know).

Comment by Marc — April 11, 2017 @ 6:01 pm

• Loved the Eno podcast, as always. As a musician who struggles to keep things simple, it was inspiring!

Such great podcasts; a real luxury on the commute to work ????

Comment by David — April 13, 2017 @ 3:55 pm

• Two of the best podcasts I’ve ever heard. Such an interesting guy (not you buckles) interviewed perfectly (you, buckles). I was enthralled from star to finish. The cards really worked in the first part to keep the conversation varied and away from the obvious.

Comment by Strangelittlemonkey — April 13, 2017 @ 9:16 pm

• Really enjoyed both. The guy is inspiring makes want to get cracking on my own creative stuff. Really interesting to hear him talk about how the rough edges of ideas are the ideas. Good chats!

Comment by David — April 14, 2017 @ 11:16 pm

• Can anyone help ID the tune that comes in after the trainspotting chat around 33 minutes on part 2? Is it one of Adam’s own jingles? Love it.

Comment by Will — April 16, 2017 @ 5:51 pm

• Possibly the best Brian Eno interview I’ve ever heard Dr Buckles (and I’ve listened to a lot of them). So much better to ramble around various subjects and come across little random snippets of interest when regular interviews seem to just rehash all of Eno’s famous collaborations (and which he obviously hates talking about endlessly).

P.S. have you ever considered starting a Patreon account rather than having to have advertising? I for one would be happy to pay £1/£2 per podcast to not have adverts, and would you not have enough other loyal fans willing to do the same, that would pay you as much as adverts? Check out how well Amanda Palmer has done through funding herself through Patreon – I reckon you have fans of the same loyal type! Advertising is so annoying and depressing…

P.P.S. to other loyal fans – if you like the idea of supporting a Patreon rather than adverts, let Adam know!

Comment by Ethan — April 18, 2017 @ 11:15 am

• Only just found your pods and am a straight off the bat quartermaster! Loved the Eno rambles, found the concept of sports and regression to the mean over time fascinating, as well as all the rest of it. Great interview. Happened to be driving home from Norwich too at the time of listening… Spooky!

Comment by Gem — April 19, 2017 @ 6:42 pm

• Loved this podcast Adam, I’m only 18 and was introduced to Brian Eno through the film Me and Earl and the Dying Girl where he is prominent on the soundtrack (a good film by btw!). Listening to your conversation was inspiring and makes me want to explore his discography more fervently so thank you for that! God bless x

Comment by Roberto Silvestro — April 21, 2017 @ 9:28 am

• Hi Adam. I’m a long time listener, first time commenter. Having just listened to that Gavin Bryas song again, I felt compelled to say thank you for the work you put into making such entertaining, funny and interesting podcasts. That’s all really – thank you and I hope you keep up the brilliant work

Comment by Ben — April 22, 2017 @ 8:32 pm