EP.40 – ZADIE SMITH

My conversation with British author Zadie Smith was recorded in London on 16th November 2016, less than two weeks after Donald Trump had been elected President of America. Zadie was visiting the UK to promote her book Swing Time. We talked about life in New York city, rudeness (one of my favourite ramble topics around that time for some reason), John Lennon, David Foster Wallace, mother and daughters and other important waffle topics.

If you like the podcast you may feel moved to vote for it in the British Podcast Awards!

If you don’t, we can still be pals as long as from now you’re economical with the phrase ‘not cool’…

Photograph: Brian Dowling/Getty Images

RAMBLE CHAT POSTER!

There are a limited number of posters signed by myself and Luke Drozd (pictured below) that you can buy HERE or from Luke’s site HERE .

• Great podcast and interview Dr B! And, yes, that bandana put me off DFW too. Reminds me to return to some of those essays, and I’ve finally been convinced that I must read some more Zadie – she sounds like a good egg.

Comment by Manu — April 21, 2017 @ 8:17 am

• Your reaction to people’s absent minded smiles is why I adore listening to you. Thanks for another lovely pod.

Comment by Natalie — April 22, 2017 @ 6:17 pm

• I listen to all podcasts at 1.5x speed to fit as many in to my brief commuting journeys. While my iSmartphone handles the pitch and cadence of the voices, but the songs sound mental.

So could you please re-record your jingles at 0.66x so that they sound normal?

Even if you don’t slow down your jingles, your podcast is still great.

Even at normal speed I misheard the “Like and Subscribe” jingle as “Nice sycophant when my bum’s up”, so I am very glad you cleared that up for me. Your lyric is better.

Comment by Bradley Temperley — April 24, 2017 @ 8:34 am

• Hello,

This has nothing to to with the podcast with Zadie, very good as it was.

I’ve got nowhere else to ask this question, so here seems as good as anywhere…

Adam – Have you seen the US TV show “Crashing” with Pete Holmes?

In an early episode (either the pilot or EP1) he is performing on stage and mentions his wife in a bit he’s doing.

Someone in the crowd immediately echoes it with “MY WIFE” in that way you do upon mentioning your wife.

I wanted to ask if this was… In homage to yourself?… Provided by yourself?… Did you know about it?… Did you even coin the call-back?

Thanksloveyoubye!

Comment by Simon — April 24, 2017 @ 8:35 am

• I want the ramble chat music as a full track.

No, actually, I don’t want it, I NEED IT.

Dr B, stop playing around with a 5 second taster, I want the full song, with not less than 5 mins of it.

it’s catchy, I’m hooked, I must have it. don’t let me down. pease.

Comment by tom — April 24, 2017 @ 8:36 am