PODCAST EP.43 – NICK KROLL

Episode 43 of the podcast features a conversation between myself and American actor, writer and comedian Nick Kroll. It was recorded at the kitchen table of his house in Los Angeles on Tuesday 21st March 2017. It started to rain as we talked, though I was enjoying the conversation too much to notice! I noticed as I cycled back to my Airbnb afterwards though. By then the rain was torrential. I was sad.

The photograph below was something Nick took as he was leaving after our conversation (note rain on windshield). It was just supposed to be something funny to send to our mutual friend Garth Jennings but it also works as a visual metaphor for my relationship to the entertainment industry.

Thanks to Seamus Murphy Mitchell for production support and to Matt Lamont for additional convo editing (forgot to give them a shout out in the outro this week -- I’m horrible).

Best to youz

Adam

• Hey Dr. Buckles. I feel compelled to write this after so long. I really enjoy your podcast in all its many forms; your light hearted banter with friends like Louis and Garth, your enthusiasm when talking with musicians, your reverentialness when meeting people you feel are legends and your humourous talking of shop with other fellow comedians.

I routinely listen through your XFM and 6 Music rambles with Joe all the way through two, three, sometimes even four times a year and they never fail to make me chuckle. Shame Joe is such a reclusive beast that I can’t pass my message along to him as well. Although knowing his ego surfing, he’ll see this eventually (Get back to work Dr. Sexy)

Keep up the spiffing work.

Comment by B.Harris — May 11, 2017 @ 8:54 pm

• Dropping by to say that I am so happy to have you back and have been loving the podcasts as always.

Comment by Tony — May 12, 2017 @ 9:59 pm

• Hey Adam, really enjoyed this chat! I moved from Ireland to NYC six years ago and started taking improv classes at UCB. I ended up becoming a performer there and have been improvising at UCB since 2012. I can tell you from experience that the classes range from people in their early twenties to people in their mid-sixties. It’s incredibly fun and is an interesting, new muscle to work as a comedian. NYC and LA has intensive classes where you can knock out an entire class in just a week. If you were ever interested in doing it, I’d be happy to point you in the direction of the best teachers and all that good stuff. Based on the many hours of your podcasts and radio shows I’ve listened to over the years, I can tell you’d be a natural at it! Anyway, I love you bye!!!

Comment by John Purcell — May 13, 2017 @ 6:22 pm

• The bird sounds like the call (but not song) of a Williow Warbler to me Adam – look it up and confirm the birds identity for the benefit of your substantial Buxton-bird enthusiast crossover audience. Alex P.

Comment by Alex Pemberton — May 15, 2017 @ 6:14 pm

• Hi Adam, I recently re-discovered your stuff after a short 20 year hiatus (since i watched the channel 4 show). Really been enjoying the podcast over the last couple of weeks – and the good thing from my perspective is there is lots to catch up on! The highest compliment i can pay you is that i find myself taking the longer walk home from work to catch an extra 10 mins of the pod. Cheers Chris

Comment by Chris — May 18, 2017 @ 12:15 pm

• Hey Dr. B,

I’m a big fan. This episode was tops, and it gave me extra funny times as it brought back a solid good memory that i thought i’d share with you… So a few years ago i got very ill, very suddenly and ended up in hospital waiting for an emergency heart transplant, SPOILER i survived. [big up the NHS!!!!!!!]. During the period i was in hospital waiting for awesome people to save my life my brother went off to a screening of The Room with Tommy Wiseau doing a Q&A… we joked that if only Tommy wished me better maybe it would be so?!?!? So off my brother went and managed to accost the man himself, getting him to record a voice memo… What i got was a slightly confused self promoting ramble, about staying positive, how cool my brother is, how to use a bag and finally he signs off with “have a groovy time, recover soon and see the room, bye”. It will never get old. I would be happy to forward it to you if you would enjoy a 32 second giggle.

Keep up the good work you make us smile.

Have a groovy time,

Aidan

Comment by Aidan Fallon — May 27, 2017 @ 4:27 pm

• Firstly I just want to tell the world that I am an absolute idiot for not having realised you were podcasting until this year. I am now making up for it by totally bingeing (and loving it).

I’ve made everyone I know listen to the Eno and Curtis podcasts. Some of them are avoiding me now.

I thought after your James Franco chat and the discussion of his post-modern take that you might like his chapter in the update of Carl Wilson’s ‘Let’s Talk About Love’ (the 33 and a third series) where he talks about Celine Dion and the perception of taste. Franco contributes a new chapter and it’s a fascinating insight into his approach to his art.. (and Celine)

Comment by Richard — July 26, 2017 @ 5:34 pm