PODCAST EP.44 – ADAM CURTIS

Podcast episode 44 features a conversation with British journalist and documentary film maker Adam Curtis.

We met on the 16th December 2016 in the meeting room of the London production company where my producer friend Seamus works. In the wake of Brexit and Donald Trump’s election the conversation often focused on a favourite theme of Mr Curtis: where the pursuit of individualism is leading us. We also talked about how Adam uses music in his films and I sneaked a bit of death chat in there too. You’re welcome! A few related links below.

Thanks to Nicky Waltham and her editor friend Doug Bryson for helping me put this episode together along with my regular production support pal Seamus Murphy Mitchel.

JOURNALIST MARK COLVIN ON THE CONVERSATIONS PODCAST

The two part podcast I mentioned featuring a great talk between the late journalist Mark Colvin and presenter Richard Fidler is HERE. Mark’s book ‘Light and Shadow: Memoirs of a Spy’s Son’ is HERE.

This illustration is by Mark’s niece ANNA HIGGIE.

ADAM CURTIS’ BLOG -- THE MEDIUM AND THE MESSAGE

Lots of interesting bits and pieces from Adam HERE

A SPOTIFY PLAYLIST OF MUSIC USED IN ADAM’S FILMS

Listen to a brilliant and varied selection of tracks used in Adam’s films (compiled by Chin Tee) HERE.

A FEW OF ADAM’S FILMS ON YOUTUBE

NOTE! Some of these have been edited slightly. The upload of Bitter Lake for example appears to be missing the very scene I spoke to Adam about :a piece of footage of an Afghani man in a tent, grinning at the camera and dancing about as the closing section of Runaway by Kanye West plays on the soundtrack. Part of the Kanye section is there, but not the best bit! The grinning man in the tent! Here’s documentary maker Errol Morris referencing the very same scene.

As I type you can still watch the full version of Bitter Lake (and probably other films by Adam) on the iplayer HERE. Grinning Man is about 1hr 19mins in.

THE MAVERICKS -- DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY

I’d never seen the video for this song before I looked for it to post here. Gosh.

• I just wanted to say a quick thank you for this great interview and for introducing me to Adam Curtis’s work.

Comment by Aaron Swain — May 19, 2017 @ 3:49 pm

• Curtis and Buxton, my two favourite Adams. Really enjoyed this one.

Comment by Jason Stubbs — May 19, 2017 @ 5:59 pm

• Adam, can’t thank you enough for bringing my most favourite Adams together for the most wonderful ramblechat. I’ve loved everyone of your podcasts but that was by far the best yet. Thank you. Love – Robert

Comment by Robert — May 19, 2017 @ 6:04 pm

• wanker ????????

Comment by Livi Bairn — May 19, 2017 @ 10:12 pm

• Hey Buckles…i actually haven’t listened to this one yet…but i know i’ll enjoy it so i’ll just say right now…Hey that was one of the best ramblechats i’ve ever heard in my whole life. great work.

What i actually came to say was i’ve been listening to your older Adam and Joe 6 music podcasts, and you mentioned in one a silly idea for a restaurant called Hey Pesto…well a few weeks ago i saw a catering van called Hey Pesto. Amazing!! I pointed it out to my son and everything. He wasn’t at all interested. Actually, now i’ve written it, it seems really shit and boring and i most definitely shouldn’t have really bothered. But, i am so much enjoying listening to the old 6 music show bits, i really do wish you would come back. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease. I

Comment by Sue Yates — May 20, 2017 @ 6:21 pm

• Really interesting conversation with the most intriguing documentarian around. An absolute pleasure. Kudos!

Comment by Michael Needleman — May 21, 2017 @ 10:48 am

• Really very interesting chap. Excellent choice of guest.

On another note… ever thought about a ramblechat with Matt Holness?

Comment by Iain L — May 21, 2017 @ 9:26 pm

• Great podcast as always.

Just finished listening to the Mark Colvin interview, thanks so much for pointing it out.

Comment by Rory — May 22, 2017 @ 7:13 am

• I really enjoyed this episode. Curtis has some fascinating ideas, which, though I don’t agree with all of them, I found very interesting. By the by, re. Death. I’m a few steps nearer the grave than you and have found my approaching non-existence quite positive. Ambition has finally dissipated and I now only do things that I enjoy, or, at least, do not give me pain. Re. Larkin. I prefer ‘The Winter Palace’ to ‘The Old Fools’, which you quoted in an earlier podcast. It’s a far more benign depiction of old age and its final line is brilliant – ‘My mind will fold into itself, like fields, like snow’.

Comment by David Sunderland — May 22, 2017 @ 7:39 am

• Man alive, I love Adam Curtis – Thank you Buckles!

Comment by P. Woodhills — May 22, 2017 @ 10:05 am

• I think this is in my top 3 for sure, really fascinating and I’d happily hear more.

Many, many thanks

Comment by Stewart Birch — May 22, 2017 @ 1:32 pm

• Buckulator 5000, this Adam x 2 podcast was the toppist. And same as Mr Curtis, I don’t do soshal meeja so this digital ouja is my only means of sending you my high praise.

I concur 100% with Curtis’ take and could almost have written his script. It was the antidote to the technocratic bien pensant guff spouted by Eno 9who’s records have) in your earlier podcast. I wonder if that might be why Curtis was so bristly at the mention of Eno here?

Lastly, your previous podcast with Mark Maron gave me an out of body experience. It’s so odd to hear you both using my name, in a music discussion about the late jazz legend.

Cheers for all the chuckles Buckles!

Comment by Lee Morgan — May 24, 2017 @ 2:07 pm