PODCAST EP.46 – SHARON HORGAN

Podcast number 46 features a conversation with Irish writer, and actor Sharon Horgan. We recorded it on May 3rd 2017 at the house of a friend of mine in London. Sharon had just come from the new offices of her production company Merman where she had been writing that day with Holly Walsh, Helen Linehan and Graham Linehan on the forthcoming BBC2 sitcom Motherland.

We talked about writing with other people (something I’ve realised I ask many of my guests about!) and about the art of telling stories, what it’s like for your real life parents when you kill off your fictional parents and and what it’s like when your fictional parents get killed off by real life, as was so sadly the case at the end of 2016 with Carrie Fisher.

We also talked about Divorce, the show Sharon wrote for Sarah Jessica Parker and Thomas Haden Church which aired in 2016 and there was a great deal of mirth when it came to talking about sexy massages and what happens when physical contact with strangers borders on the inappropriate.

Thanks to Seamus Murphy Mitchel for production support and to Matt Lamont for convo editing on this episode. I am responsible for the jingles/music.

SUMMER BREAK TIME!

This is the last show of the current weekly run of podcasts. I hope to start putting out more episodes weekly around mid September, but between now and then the plan is to upload the odd episode whenever there’s time to pull one together.

Thanks! AB

• Dear Adam

I too have a beard. I clip it weekly. I had rinsed my face of any loose hairs and was just towelling my face dry, when I caught myself by surprise in making a sound that can only be described as your dog Rosie in a disagreeable mood. Obviously it wasn’t the sound of the actual Rosie, as I have never met her, but of you pretending to be Rosie in your podcasts. It is you isn’t it? There were no words uttered, just the noise of Rosie grumbling and sounding slightly disaffected by something. Perhaps one of your recent instructions?

Regardless, I am slightly perturbed by this turn of events and thought I’d better let you know in case this behaviour has occurred to any other of your other pod-cats as you may need to raise a potential side-effects warning at the beginning of your next episode.

It feels strange to have written this, but it’s true. So be it

Kristian Gunn

Comment by Kristian Gunn — June 2, 2017 @ 10:26 pm

• Just spotted my use of the word ‘other’ twice there in the last sentence. Apologies, it’s an utter disgrace

Comment by Kristian Gunn — June 2, 2017 @ 10:31 pm

• So sad we now have a break. I was roaring but also slightly uncomfortable in the recognition when you guys talked about the excitement of human contact. In my area they have a mens haircut chain where you can pay extra for a face and head massage from the always young female barber.

Comment by Tony — June 3, 2017 @ 2:32 am

• Adam – you the best dude! Really think you’ve got a gift for ‘teasing ‘ out info from people that other interviewers don’t:. The latest with Sharon Horgan was superb…you got so much out of her…if you know what I mean that other interviewers have not…I say that because I fucking love Catastrophe and her other work. and had looked and thought ..who the hell is she? and existing youtube interviews with her were..frankly …crap. i live in Spain, near Barcelona and I’m a massive pod cat – Just wanted to say what you’re doing is really great – the podcasts with people I hadn’t heard about (e.g. Micaela Coel) have led me on to discover great things ! (top boy…chewing gum) The ones with ‘well known’ people…e.g. Kathy Burke / Steve Coogan were really revealing… Mate, I’ve downloaded all of them…some I’ve listened to several times…thery’re always brilliant..Thanks man..Keep up the good work man…..and if not…

well maybe you shouldn’t be living heeeeeeeeeeere…..

I love you Byeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment by JOSEPH EDWARD BARR — June 3, 2017 @ 3:09 pm

• Hey Adam, Many Thanks for this latest run of Ramblechats, always a joy to listen in.

Finally got round to framing my first edition print which now takes pride of place in my man cave between a Black Sabbath Poster and a Nomeansno album (Hey! I likes what I likes!)

I guess if you’re taking a break from the weekly uploads I’ll have to head back to EP.1 and listen to them all once more.

Any news on the live show download? And whats happening with The Cloud?

Comment by Jay — June 5, 2017 @ 12:39 am

• Hey Adam,

Well done on this series of the podcast. Really enjoyed it. You’ve clearly given a lot of thought to featuring a fantastic, diverse range of guests. I particularly enjoyed the eps with Coogan, Bridget Christie, Edgar Wright and Sharon Horgan. Also, the Adam Curtis chat was very interesting. He’s clearly an intelligent fella with a different perspective. Styistically, I can see from the comments on twitter and your blog that he’s not everyone’s cup of tea and perhaps comes across as a bit condescending. But I really commend you for having him on as he challenges authority / the status quo and provokes thought. Keep taking risks with your guests! Thanks – much appreciated

I love you. Byeeeeee!

Comment by Pete — June 5, 2017 @ 5:20 am

• I think the bean in the expression Chill The Bean, is your head. My Irish grandad used to call our heads ‘beans’, (“Oh no! Did you bonk your bean?”) I had never heard that expression Sharon used before but saying ‘chill the head’ would be normal enough.

Comment by Shanner — June 5, 2017 @ 8:32 am

• Heeeeeeey. Just signed up to Bulb. Never have I been so happy responding to an advert. Been meaning to support someone who supports you and they seem nice. It’s a win, win win, I think. I have listened to every single podcast, many of them twice. The Brian Eno ones were out of this world! I love you, BYE!

Comment by Philip Ingles — June 6, 2017 @ 11:06 am

• Happy birthday Adam! It’s also my birthday which I think is pretty rad as I’m an avid podcat! So glad you finally got to chat to Sharon I think she’s bloody brilliant. And I’m glad she likes her new office as my partner made some furniture for it! Look forward to the next ramblechat, as always, it’ll be worth the wait. Thanks for the great show and hope you’ve had a lovely day! X

Comment by Jen — June 7, 2017 @ 7:09 pm

• Hi Adam, I’m a latecomer to your podcasts but am now an avid fanboy! I’m working my way through from the beginning and it’s opened my eyes to loads of books, documentaries and music that I wasn’t aware of. Great stuff dude x

Comment by Paul Fourmy — June 14, 2017 @ 5:09 pm

• Hi Adam

I’ve listened to about half a dozen of your podcasts in the last couple of days and can’t remember which one it was where you spoke about Michael Kiwanuka but I just wanted to recommend an episode of the Song Exploder podcast where they take apart his song “Black Man in a White World” and piece it back together explaining how it was created. Interesting perspective on all the work and self-doubt behind the perfect finished project.

Comment by David — June 15, 2017 @ 12:21 pm

• Hey Adam, Loved this episode. Thought you revealed a rarely heard bold streak in your teasing of Sharon over the New Yorker article. Audible squirming, lousy, but very funny. She is a very good sport. Very different episode to Rob Delaney’s, which was also great but for very different reasons (read his book over the weekend, lots of chuckles). Enjoy the break from podcasting, cannot wait for the new episodes. BYEEEE.

Comment by John Enright — June 15, 2017 @ 12:22 pm

• Hello Adam Buxton Comedian Man I have recently had problems downloading your podcast on Itunes, and am wondering is it just me, or are other subscribers having this issue?

Please let me know thanks

Comment by Vincent Goodman — June 21, 2017 @ 11:07 am

• Hello Adam, I have been meaning to drop you a note about a comment I heard you make in the Claudia O’Doherty podcast where she referred to “Los” Vegas. I am an English native living in Australia and they all do it! I’ve given up arguing the mal-pronunciation with my wife and work colleagues. I have finally come to the conclusion that it isn’t based on a misunderstanding of the spelling (or hispanic gender) but actually an attempt to recreate the tonal qualities of Elvis Presley in the song which celebrates that City. If you need further proof of the peculiarities of Australian phonemes, ask one of your antipodean acquaintances to name the purpley colour that starts with M, ends with N and is worn by the Queensland Rugby league team. Anyway, really enjoying the podcasts which I listen to while running around the various coves of Sydney Harbour. Keep up the fantastic work. You often make me laugh and we all need that, don’t we.

Comment by Hutch — September 4, 2017 @ 1:15 pm

• I listened to your Sara Pascoe podcast recently and was interested in your comments on audio books and whether it is reading. I have had years of a long driving commute and have therefore ‘read’ widely but wondered if it ‘counted’. I came to the conclusion that if I were blind/visually impaired then I would read audio books and would be offended were people to think I was less of a ‘reader’. And I think this settles it. There you are.

Comment by Laura — September 4, 2017 @ 8:15 pm