PODCAST EP.47 – SPOON

Podcast 47 features a conversation with Britt Daniel, Jim Eno and Alex Fischel of Spoon. It was recorded on April 12th 2017 at Rooftop studio with engineer Alex Hayes and features 3 specially recorded Spoon songs (‘Hot Thoughts’, ‘I Ain’t The One’ and ‘Rainy Taxi’) as well as a cover of Bowie’s ‘I Can’t Give Everything Away’.

COME AND SEE ME SUPPORT SPOON LIVE!

Wednesday 27th June 2017, Manchester, Gorilla -- TICKETS HERE

Thursday 28th June 2017, Glasgow, Art School -- TICKETS HERE

AND THEY’RE PLAYING LONDON ON 30th JUNE

At the Kentish Town Forum HERE, though I will NOT be supporting them for that show.

On the way into the studio to record the podcast, I bumped into Metronomy who were there rehearsing. Look!

SOUNDCLOUD For copyright reasons this episode is NOT available to download as an MP3, sorry about that.

• What a great episode, on the back of which Spoon have a new fan, and I’ve got a ticket for the Glasgow show!

Comment by David Newton — June 23, 2017 @ 8:08 pm

• Great podcast ‘The Underdog’ reminds me of Phil Lynott/Thin Lizzy – particularly ‘Dancing in the Moonlight’ or ‘Old Town’ (for the trumpet)

Comment by Doyler — June 27, 2017 @ 10:28 am

• Hello Adam, I am thoroughly enjoying the podcasts but feel they perhaps lack a mirth warning, in addition to the traditional adult content warnings.

For example, I was listening to an earlier Adam and Joe Christmas special podcast in the gym and had to stop my session on the weights because I was literally and repeatedly laughing out loud.

A warning would have helped avoid this embarrassment.

However, the ordeal was not over. In fact, the gym embarrassment got worse. I chose a more appropriate podcast (the excellent Marc Riley interview) and moved into another room to lift some baby weights as I am somewhat weedy.

A woman in the same room was looking at me strangely and informed me after a few minutes that I was in the lady gym, the part of the gym exclusively reserved for females.

Thankfully the look of sheer horror meant I wasn’t called out as a pervert. But still, not the experience I usually get while listening to the podcast.

Comment by Graeme — June 28, 2017 @ 9:28 pm

• Not sure if Adam reads these comments, busy jet-setter that he surely is, but on the off-chance…

I’ve just caught up on your last few podcasts and I thought I’d write a note to say how much I enjoy them. Being an old member of slack squadron, and a podcat and quartermaster from the very start of these podcasts, I’ve been listening a while and they never fail to either entertain or educate me. Cases in point from the last few: I’m totally ignorant of Spoon’s work, but I loved the songs. Great voice and a great sound. I’ll be checking out their back catalogue. Brilliant to hear Edgar Wright. I love his stuff, his directorial style from Spaced on through all his films, and I’ll forever be grateful that he didn’t mess up ‘Scott Pilgrim’. I was lucky enough to be one of the sound crew on ‘Shaun of the Dead’ – it’s a shame to hear that he found it hard as I just remember how much fun I had at work every day. Loved it. Unfortunately we haven’t worked with him since due to scheduling issues (and no, we weren’t any of the doubting voices!)… but your interview reminded me that we were also the sound crew on one of YOUR acting outings, ‘Stardust’. Since the ghost unit was shot at a later time than the main shoot, we were once again busy on another film and our paths didn’t cross. Similarly, we were busy when approached to do ‘Attack the Block’, so I missed the chance to work with Joe there. A couple of near misses… but we went on many years later to win the Oscar for the sound on ‘Les Miserables’. Coincidence? You decide.

Being a smidgen over 40 now, I find myself getting more emotional about things, too. Hence this entire note; I just felt compelled to write something.

Anyway, I’m rambling. Just wanted to say, y’know, keep up the good work.

Comment by Robin — July 14, 2017 @ 3:54 pm

• Hello Adam! I thoroughly enjoyed this episode with Spoon. Lovely work! My husband and I listen to your podcast with our 3-year-old son who loves all of your songs and jingles and sings along to them making up his own lyrics. I’d love you to hear him doing it, but I can’t find a bloomin’ email address to send my sneaky recording to. Of course we think he’s hilarious because we are silly parents who think all of his attempts at everything are the best things ever.

Comment by Jennifer Ryan — July 20, 2017 @ 7:46 pm

• A wonderful podcast as always, and the Spoon/Bowie cover is beautiful… I didn’t cry, it’s hay-fever! Thanks for making my day. Take care Mr. Tx

Comment by Tony — August 1, 2017 @ 6:30 pm

• Hi Adam. Just a quick message to say how much I’m loving the podcast. Have you ever thought about doing animated series? Where you could showcase your vast array of hilarious voices and accents. Surely Netflix would be up for something like that?

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Pete