PODCAST EP.49 – LOUIS THEROUX

Podcast 49 features another conversation with documentary maker and journalist, Louis Theroux recorded on June 13th 2017 in London. We started by talking about a couple of programmes Louis had been working on which got us onto heroin (not literally!!! Ha ha ha ha ha) then Herzog, Broomfield, some ‘bitchiness’ (mine I’m sorry to say) about TV writers and some very low quality S-Town impressions.

WARNING: CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE, WEAK LANGUAGE AND RUINS THE ENDING OF S-TOWN.

Thanks to Seamus Murphy-Mitchell for production support and Matt Lamont for additional editing.

Music & jingles by Adam Buxton

Oh, and here’s Louis talking to David Attenborough for the Radio Times and ‘17 People Who Got Louis Theroux Tattooed On Their Leg‘.

Cheery arm pat

Adam

SOUNDCLOUD

• So happy to have the podcast back Adam.

Really enjoyed Louis’ silly voices on this episode, not quite the giddy heights of ‘Yes Sir I Can Boogie’ but still very funny.

Some absolute genius put this together.

Love it.

Comment by John — September 25, 2017 @ 8:36 pm

• Really loved this! The Herzog and S-Town impressions had me laughing a lot. Bit awkward really though as I was on a bus home from London and I think everyone else would rather have been sleeping than listening to me giggle.

Anyway… Rather a nerdy question! You mentioned the recorder you used in the last episode but how did you record the the Julian Barratt and Garth Jennings episode because that one sounded amazing!

Thanks, Ben

Comment by Benedict Jones — September 26, 2017 @ 7:19 am

• Really great stuff. I remember the episode of Weird Weekends where Louis attends one of Marshall Sylver’s seminars and they have a bit of a therapy session, and Louis says his Dad overreacted and came down on him pretty hard when he found out he’d been smoking weed. Good to hear more about that!

Comment by Paul Hughes — September 26, 2017 @ 11:25 am

• Did you manage to get a photo of the spider?

Comment by Tom Lawrence — September 26, 2017 @ 1:02 pm

• Great podcast as usual. The thing that always got me about Bryan Reed’s voice was how he frequently sounded like he was about to cry when he did his commentary. Obviously there were times when he may have been genuinely upset but I normally felt it was just his usual strange delivery – once I heard it I couldn’t stop hearing it!

On a side note I’m a huge fan of your various musical comedy, jingley bits – yours is the only podcasts where I enjoy the adverts. As an amateur musical comedian (currently inactive but please do check out our SoundCloud! http://www.soundcloud.com/twopregnantmen) I’d love to better understand your process. What programmes do you use and how do you go about putting a song together, in terms of the music itself and also lyrics etc? Do you just start with a little nugget of an idea and see where your creativity takes you or is there a more structured process?

Comment by Sam kinnear — September 27, 2017 @ 7:06 pm

• So happy the podcast is back!! Another classic episode

Comment by Lauren — September 29, 2017 @ 10:33 pm

• Here’s a 2015 interview with Denis Norden. Perhaps you could interview him, Adam?

Comment by Tom — September 30, 2017 @ 11:04 am

• Just seeing that Louis was back made me happy and this did not disappoint!

Two little observations: one is that a while back Adam, you mentioned that you had picked up that little verbal tick of saying “right?” at the end of sentences, probably from Ridley Scott interviews and commentaries, and I just wanted to report that I’ve managed to pick up at least two of yours! ( Probably because living in Japan, yours is often the predominant native English speaking voice I hear some weeks!)

Secondly, you referenced here Adam Curtis and his “ohdearism”. I loved the way you handled him in that interview, but I really felt he meant something quite different then than what you remembered here. He seemed to be noting primarily their complete lack of action. He said they would see a tragedy on the front page, say “Oh dear!” then turn the page and move on – the implication being that they were actually a rung below the “slactivists”, who at least can be bothered to show solidarity by liking and/or sharing.

I think Louis used the word “tragedist” or something to describe what you remembered as Adam Curtis’s “ohdearist”. Just wanted to mention it because I felt Curtis’s point was really valid.

Comment by Jeremy Cox — October 19, 2017 @ 12:39 pm