PODCAST EP.51 – JOHNNY MARR

Podcast 51 features a conversation recorded on October 18th 2016 with guitar genius and co-founder of The Smiths, Johnny Marr. We talked about music and life in and out of one of the most influential bands of all time. Johnny had just finished writing his memoir Set The Boy Free when we spoke, and he was very generous with stories and insights about how some of his best loved songs came together as well as much else, which I think you’ll enjoy whether or not you’re a fan of The Smiths.

The photo of me and Johnny below was taken by Johnny’s wife Angie back in 2011 when we first met. I like the way she’s captured us brandishing our chosen weapons. She caught us just as we were concluding a long chat about double act dynamics! Earlier in the day we’d been sharing our enthusiasm for Frank Black’s album Teenager Of The Year. Up to that point I’d never met anyone who loved it as much as I do.

Thanks to Seamus Murphy Mitchell for production support and Matt Lamont for additional editing.

Music & jingles by Adam Buxton

SOUNDCLOUD

• Mate, Jonny Marr??? Amazing!! I could listen to him talk about the Smiths for hours, what a legend. Kudos on the podcast Buckles it made my first hour and a half of work fly by.

Comment by Paul Fourmy — October 8, 2017 @ 9:43 am

• Love your podcasts Adam – but this one really touched me. Had me singing along to Hatful of Hollow as I drove my 12 year old son home. Poor kid.

I was trying to explain why The Smiths were so different, and how amazing the lyrics were to me at the age of 15. Suffice to say my son thinks I’m not only an idiot, but an idiot who can’t sing.

Keep it up.

Marc

Comment by marc curtis — October 9, 2017 @ 12:54 pm

• Johnny Marr interview was great! Lovely humble legend. What a pleasure.. But the Wise Old Tree is marvelous. Who doesn’t like a breeze through your acorns? More of him please Buckles! X

Comment by Niamh O — October 10, 2017 @ 2:09 pm

• I was so excited to see this podcast, knew it wouldn’t disappoint and completely loved it. Thank you Adam Buxton (who is a man) Keep them coming!

Comment by Debs G — October 13, 2017 @ 12:47 pm

• Adam sparks up a ciggie at 57.45. Rock n roll.

Comment by Chris — October 13, 2017 @ 4:05 pm