PODCAST EP.53 – MIRANDA SAWYER

I recorded this conversation with British writer and broadcaster Miranda Sawyer on 21st of May 2017. Miranda’s book Out Of Time got me thinking more constructively about the onset of my own mid life crisis and it was fun and cathartic to talk with her about it. Oh God, I said ‘cathartic’…

Oh and here’s a little slice of Irvin Yalom who Miranda mentioned as being someone whose writing she’d found helpful in the grip of her own crisis.

Thanks to Seamus Murphy Mitchell for production support and Matt Lamont for additional editing.

Music & jingles by Adam Buxton

SOUNDCLOUD

• This podcast brought a lot of cheer to my journey this morning. Highlights include Miranda on dogs and Adam on balls. Thank you for the chuckles.

Comment by John — October 21, 2017 @ 5:42 pm

• I haven’t got round to listening to this yet, I’m still piling through the back catalogue having only just discovered your podcast. I wanted to make a more general comment on your brilliant podcasts, and the tremendous entertainment that they’ve given me. I’ve only really dabbled in your work before back in my twenties. I’ve made your work sound like cocaine, apologies. Previously when I’ve thought of you I’ve immediately thought of that scene in Hot Fuzz when your head is obliterated by a church steeple, which filled me with a powerful nausea watching it. Not that your performance as someone having their head obliterated by a church steeple wasn’t great, I’m just very squeamish. I only started listening to the podcast last week but I’ve already racked up about twenty hours of chat. I’ve basically gone on a pod-bender. Obviously I’m really enjoying it but it is having one odd side-effect. Did you ever play so much Tetris that when falling blocks fell in front of your eyes when you went to sleep? The same thing has happened but with your voice. If that sounds a bit creepy, then yes it is. A nearly 40-year-old man being read to by another, older, man. But I find the chats (particularly the ones with Louie Theroux) so amusing, interesting and generally life-affirming, I think it’s worth the weird nightly murmurings. Please keep up the outstanding work Thank you Nick P.S Please can my son do work experience with you? P.P.S Not really. He’s five. He’s virtually useless. P.P.S. That joke refers to a conservation you had with Louie two years ago. You’ve probably forgotten about it.

Comment by Nick Harrison — October 23, 2017 @ 7:53 pm

• Wonderful Podcast! It really resonated with me. Oh God I said resonated!

Comment by Stefan — October 25, 2017 @ 12:12 am

• Brilliant chat. Very funny and so nice to hear other people have the same thoughts and feeling about raising kids and life in their 40s. I’m liking the wise old tree too. He’s a real find.

Comment by Colin — October 25, 2017 @ 10:51 am

• Another insightful episode, Mr. Buxton. I would (/will) recommend this, or the following Simon Amstell episode, to any first time listeners, confident they would transform into lifelong fans. Much more meaningful than just disposable entertainment. In terms of podcasters, you really are comparable to a mild mannered Marc Maron.

Thank you.

(Though none of this will probably resonate with you as it’s not hurtful enough, so… go fuck yourself!)

Longtime A + J fan,

k

Comment by Kevin — November 6, 2017 @ 12:12 pm

• I love Qix on the gameboy!

Comment by James — November 14, 2017 @ 7:49 am